João Borges da Cunha
CIÊNCIAVITAE | PERSONAL WEBSITE
João Borges da Cunha (Lisbon, 1973) holds a Ph.D. in Cultural Studies from the Catholic University of Portugal, and a Degree in Architecture from the Faculty of Architecture of the University of Lisbon. His doctoral thesis, entitled «Representation, immersion and interiors: «Cultures of Space in “To the Lighthouse and “Buddenbrooks”», provides a comparative reading of two emblematic novels of the early 20th century, regarding their spatial, architectural and cultural backdrop. He has been an Assistant Professor as well as the Students Manager at the Department of Architecture and Urban Planning in Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias [ULHT], Lisbon, where he’s been teaching in undergraduate and post-graduate level. He’s also a writer of fiction, having been awarded the Gulbenkian Foundation/ Branquinho da Fonseca Literary Prize, to his novella Amor de Miraflores. He’s a playwriter as well and has also been a set designer in several stage productions in Portugal.
- Theory of Architecture, Architectural Culture, Visual Culture, Inter-arts Studies
- Cunha, Borges da Cunha (2020), «Phantasmagorias of the Post-Colonial Interiors» in Papers to the 4th International Congress on Ambiances, Ambiances, Alloaesthesia: Senses, Inventions, Worlds 4th International Congress on Ambiances, Universidade de Santa Barbara, California, USA & Ambiances Network – CY Cergy Paris University. [Vol. 1, p. 210-215] [https://ambiances2020.ambiances.net/]
- Cunha, Borges da Cunha (2018) «Cityspaces as Interior Settings: on an Inside Out Effect in the Cities Under New Capitalism» in Revista de Comunicação e Linguagem, nº 48, pp.67-77. [RCL – Cities of the Future No 48 (2018)]
- Cunha, João Borges da (2013), «The Bernhardian Cachectonica: figures of architectural discomfort and distress in Thomas Bernhard’s fiction», in Gadanho, Pedro, Oliveira, Susana (Ed.), Once Upon a Place: Architecture & Fiction, Lisboa: Caleidoscópio; pp. 169-175.
- Cunha, João Borges da, Lourenço, Jorge Fazenda (2011), Corpo, Arquitectura, Poema: Leituras inter-artes na poesia de Jorge de Sena, Lisboa: Assírio & Alvim.
- Cunha, João Borges da (2010) «Amor de Miraflores» in Lissabon – Eine literarische Einladung, Herausgegeben von Gaby Wurster, Berlin: Salto.
- 2016/ 2019 – Partner Member of e-FIADE – Exploring the Field of Interaction in Architectural Design Studio, coordinator TOBB-ETÜ University – Ankara/ Turkey, partners: Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands, University of Zagreb/ Croatia, Mimar Sinan University of Fine Arts, Intanbul/ Turkey, EAAE (European Association for Architectural Education), Paris/ France, EAAE (European Association for Architectural Education) Genève/ Switzerland.
- Apr 2018 – Invited tutor in the European workshop MATERIART – the figure, coordinator: Tobb Ekonomi ve Teknoloji Üniversitesi, Tobb University of Economics and Technology, TOBB ETU – Ankara/ Turkey; partners: Fachhochschule Münster, FH Münster, Gr, İstanbul Teknik Üniversitesi, İstanbul Technical University, ITU, Tr, aUniversidade de Lisboa, University of Lisbon, Ulisboa, Pt, a Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias, Lusófona University, ULHT, Pt, Panepistimio Thesalias, University of Thessaly, UTH, Gr, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, Eindhoven University of Technology, TU/e.